Bradford Ontario Canada Then and Now
131 Holland Street West Bradford Ontario Canada
Was built in 1947 the exterior of the build was originally white stucco and was owned by the Catania Family. In 1953 they leased it to Brad Walker from 1953 to 1960. Brad Walker had his Ford dealership at this location. In 1960 Brad Walker moved his dealership to NewMarket and the Catania family took the location back over and dropped the Ford dealership. There have been many businesses in this location over the years. The building survived a fire in 2009.
Bradford Ontario Canada Then and Now 131 Holland Street West Bradford Ontario Canada
The original building located at 4 Holland St. West (on the southwest corner of Holland and Simcoe Streets) was built in 1835 and was situated on land originally owned by James Drury. He was one of the early immigrants who reached Upper Canada. Drury rented the corner lot to Thomas Driffill (a blacksmith), who opened a hardware store at that location. The lot was later sold to Robert Cooke, who leased the property to Driffill for another 20 years. Thomas Driffill became the village of Bradford’s first reeve when it was incorporated in 1857. The great fire of 1871 destroyed all but the building’s foundation. It was rebuilt incorporating the intact, old vault and locally-made bricks.
4 Holland Street – Downtown Bradford Ontario Canada Then & Now
“The Downtown Core has survived two fires. The first, on May 23, 1871, destroyed upwards of one hundred homes including all of the business part of the village except two hotels being consumed. However, a new downtown area arose where most buildings were made of brick. Today many of the buildings still exist and make up the downtown core. The second fire was in the 1960s with damage only to the northwest corner of the intersection at Highway 11 and Highway 88” – source Wikipedia.
Main Street – Bradford Ontario Canada Then & Now 1920 -2017
The former Town of Bradford was amalgamated with portions of the former Townships of West Gwillimbury and Tecumseth to become the Town of Bradford West Gwillimbury on January 1, 1991. – Special thanks to Elve Kavchak, for sending us this photo.
Gwilly – Bradford Ontario Mascot Billboard – 1995
Then & Now, 1906 – 2017 Downtown Bradford Ontario Canada, main 4 Corners of Bradford. Holland Street and Barrie Street Looking North.
Then & Now Downtown Bradford Ontario Canada
Holland Street Looking West 1920 to 2017
Downtown Bradford Holland Street Looking West 1920